Downtown Lawton (circa 1940s)
History of Our Company
On November 1, 1946, Charles E. Bledsoe and T. D. Nicklas, attorneys, purchased the Oklahoma Abstract Company from Harry T. Miller. The Bledsoe and Nicklas children were active in the management of the company from the mid-1970s, and eventually they became the board of directors. All but two of the board members were employed in the daily operations of the company at one time or another.
Current Ownership & Management
On April 30, 2014, Bryan K. Thomason, Lisa R. Sparks and Denise Scarborough, well-known for opening the Lawton branch of Sovereign Title Services, purchased Oklahoma Abstract Company of Lawton, Inc. from the Bledsoe/Nicklas family. Since then, they've made many changes to the firm, first of which was adding the DBA "Sovereign Abstract & Title of Comanche County" to the corporate business name. We are proud to still be a long-standing firm, continuing to serve our community for over a century and fortunate to have decades of experience within our staff.
The Oklahoma Territory opened for settlement in 1901 with the allotment of lands for towns and homesteads. Landowners needed a means to prove ownership of their land, and abstract companies–the Moncrief-Cook Abstract Company among them– put up tents and went to business to fill this need. Walter Jordan came to Lawton and bought the Moncrief-Cook Abstract Company in 1914. In 1917, Harry T. Miller, an attorney, had come to Lawton to practice law. He bought the Cassin Abstract Company books, and he and Walter Jordan went into business together as Guaranty Abstract Company. Miller later acquired Jordan’s interest in Guaranty Abstract Company, and thereby became the sole owner of the company he renamed Oklahoma Abstract Company. Harry Miller later bought the records compiled by the T. H. Bixby Abstract Company. Because of these purchases, Harry Miller and his Oklahoma Abstract Company came to own a complete set of indexes, as required by law, and an abstracted take-off of every real estate instrument filed with the Comanche County clerk since 1901.